Download a Word doc of this form here.
PART I: GENERAL INFORMATION
Name as it should appear on title page:
CURRENT POSITION: Please keep us informed of any position changes.
City: State: Zip Code:
City: State: Zip Code:
PART II: PROJECT INFORMATION
1. PREVIOUS BOOKS: Title and subtitle, publisher, print run, pub date, current price, cloth and/or paper sales (if you don’t have sales info, please write your publisher to request it)
2. PLEASE INDICATE ANY AWARDS RECEIVED, such as “Best Books of the Year” lists, book club adoptions, foreign editions (and publishers). If you have any reviews, please send copies of the most recent.
3. PLEASE ATTACH A BRIEF BUT COMPREHENSIVE SYNOPSIS of roughly 200 words (double-spaced) describing your book, stating its themes, method, and scope, and focusing on its best selling points. This information will be our primary source for preparing copy and advertising. Please remember that your audience will include librarians and general readers as well as scholars.
4. DESCRIBE IN A GENERAL WAY YOUR ANTICIPATED AUDIENCE FOR THIS BOOK. Is it exclusively academic and scholarly? Does the subject have any appeal for a general or trade audience? Does its appeal cross disciplines? If so, which ones?
5. LIST SIMILAR OR COMPETING BOOKS (author, title, publisher, year, and your comments about them).
6. DOES YOUR BOOK LEND ITSELF TO EXCERPTING? Have any sections been published previously?
PART III: MARKETING INFORMATION
7. REVIEW COPIES: List periodicals most likely to review your book.
8. WHICH DO YOU FEEL ARE THE 2 OR 3 MOST APPROPRIATE PERIODICALS IN WHICH TO ADVERTISE YOUR BOOK?
9. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH ANY PERIODICALS AS EDITOR OR CONTRIBUTOR? Please give titles and dates of recent articles or positions.
10. WHICH CONFERENCES WILL YOU BE ATTENDING DURING THE NEXT 2 YEARS?
11. DO YOU HAVE ANY SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS SCHEDULED? (Please keep us up-to-date on additional events)
12. ARE YOU WILLING TO MAKE AUTHOR APPEARANCES? Are there particular stores or venues you would recommend for this purpose? In addition, please list local bookstores you frequent.
13. DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE OR A BLOG? ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, GOODREADS, OR ANY OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES?
14. ARE THERE ANY BOOK CLUBS OR OTHER PLACES WITH LARGE SALES POTENTIAL YOU THINK WE SHOULD CONTACT?
15. ARE THERE ANY AWARDS FOR WHICH YOUR BOOK MAY BE ELIGIBLE OR ESPECIALLY SUITED?
16. LIST PROMINENT PERSONS (SCHOLARS, AUTHORS) WHO MIGHT GIVE US AN ADVANCE COMMENT TO USE IN PROMOTION. Indicate with an asterisk any you know personally and elaborate if necessary. Please provide addresses (including e-mail address if possible).
PART IV: MAILING LIST AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
16. PROVIDE NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF GROUPS OR ASSOCIATIONS THAT YOU FEEL SHOULD BE CONTACTED. (Include contact names and addresses for internet discussion groups that may be interested in your book.) What membership lists can you supply? Providing e-mail addresses is also helpful.
17. ATTACH A LIST OF THOSE WHO SHOULD RECEIVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT YOUR BOOK’S PUBLICATION: alumni associations, individuals, school newspapers, hometown newspapers, bookstores, etc. Please provide these names and addresses on pressure-sensitive labels. Providing e-mail addresses is also helpful.
18. DO YOU THINK YOUR BOOK LENDS ITSELF TO COURSE ASSIGNMENT? Please be as specific as possible in naming courses and providing names of anyone you know who teaches them. Please provide these names and addresses on pressure-sensitive labels.