Michael Plunkett, Editor
University Press of Virginia
© 1995 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia
Conditions of Use
Please note: these images are also available as hypertext links
from their entries within the
University of Virginia Section.
- Kate Flanagan Coles (former slave) and her husband. Kate
Flanagan Coles Papers.
Pages, 1850, from the Templeman and Goodwin Ledger containing
entries on the buying and selling of slaves
- Daguerreotype photograph, 1847, of Isaac Jefferson. Isaac
- Sulfur Mine Workers, Mineral Springs, Orange County, ca. 1890.
Hawfield Plantation Papers
- African-American school in the South, ca. 1920s. Jackson Davis
- An account of the sale of a cargo of slaves, July 4, 1710.
Tayloe Family Papers
- An October 30, 1850, letter to James Brady in Richmond outlining
current prices on the buying and selling of slaves. Harris-Brady
- Pages from a Register of Free Blacks, Washington County,
- Unidentified African-American female, n.d., from the Poore
family of Albemarle County, Virginia. Carr Family Papers
- Page from the Watson Farm diary, 1858, Louisa County, Virginia,
describing the work of the slave Jim. Watson Family Papers
- Civil rights sit-in, Richmond, Virginia, 1960s. Anderson
- Unknown female slave of the Minor family of Amherst County,
Virginia. Minor Family Papers
- A page from George Gilmer's daybook showing treatment of Thomas
Jefferson and two African-Americans. George Gilmer Daybook
- Letter from Matilda R. Lomax (former slave) to Sarah Cox,
December 1853. Bremo Recess Papers
- African-American laborers in Alleghany County, Virginia, 1889.
Longdale Iron Co. Photographs
- An African-American family in Albemarle County, Virginia, ca.
1915. Holsinger Studio Photograph Collection
Return to Homepage